Saturday, October 20, 2012

Rain rain go away

So, we've been told

"Once the rain comes, it doesn't leave until April, sometimes May"
"Prepare for the rain; its not really even rain, its more of an annoying mist that sticks around for months"
"Get ready for November; it will be dark and dreary for 60, maybe even 90 days"

I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to guess that most Oregonians have to take a course once they've survived a winter here on how to scare others into not moving/staying here. I really think its a huge conspiracy theory myself.

Our experience has been a little something like this:

Days 1-20: Only two days of overcast type weather during this time frame with a few down pours during the night.

Days 20-28: Mainly 40-50 degree mornings and 60-70 degree afternoons, beautiful leaves changing colors, hardly any wind and complete, unobstructed sunshine. We noticed on our weather app that the "rain was coming," so we went out and bought the necessary items, rain coats, rain boots, chocolate, wine...and the rain came on day 28, it came and lasted for about 6 hours.

Days 28 and 29: We went back to having the normal 40-50 degree mornings and 60-70 degree afternoons, with complete, unobstructed sunshine.

Day 30: The rain came....it came and it poured all through the night. When we woke up to leave for Kellan's hockey this morning, it was raining, so we bundled up in the necessary clothing and left for our day. It rained during our drive, it rained during hockey practice, but the second we were ready to leave for the farmers market, the rain stopped. When we were ready to leave the farmer's market after completing our shopping, the rain started again. Grandma and Grandpa Findley are visiting so we had planned to ride the tram (up in the air gondola type thing over the city) and just as we were making different plans (because what's the point in riding a gondola over the city if you can't see the city)? the rain stopped. So, we went and rode the tram, and it was beautiful. Clear blue skies the whole time we were on the tram. Then, we got back in the car and the rain started again. So, we went to a movie and when we arrived to park the car, the rain stopped. While we were in the movie, the rain started again, and....Are you getting it yet? When we left the movie, the rain stopped. So, my guess is, it's going to rain in Oregon, it's going to rain for months, but when The Pettit's step out, by golly, the rain will stop!

Wishful thinking people, wishful thinking.

In all honesty, this is the most beautiful Fall I have ever seen. The colors here are amazing and the weather has been wonderful. I am truly saddened by the fact that winter is upon us and it dares to rob us of the beauty of Fall; but alas, for everything there is a season and we have so enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy this season.

Brian and I have decided it's time to begin a work out regimen of some sort, and since we have all of these stairs around our neighborhood, we figured we should make use of them.

Brian was the first victim. He left for a work out the other morning and within 20 minutes he was home and about to vomit. I asked what happened and he said he ran up the 126 steps 4 times! He said the last leg was so hard that he pulled up on his pant legs to assist him on the final steps. The construction workers that are building the house next to the stairs, clapped when he reached the top.

I thought I would challenge Brian, so I told him I would see his 4 and raise him 4! We all know how competitive I am. So, I laced up my favorite running shoes and hit the stairs. Felling super confident (you know, because I work out so much)! I started my iTunes and headed down the flight for round one. I reached the bottom and then flew up those 126 steps like I invented stair running. I was awesome! Then, I began my decent to the bottom, to begin round two. This time, half way down, my legs began to shake, my eyes started to fog over and my head started to tell me lies "you can't do this," "look at you, they are all going to laugh at you when you plummet to the bottom of this stair case in front of all of the cars passing by," "you are not shooting a cover for runners world," "give it up lady, you don't have this." Needless to say, I ignored all of this nonsense and continued on my path to running the stairs 8 times.

Round two began with me flying up the steps, just like round one, only this time, half way up, reality set in, there is no way I can run these stairs 8 times. I maybe can complete this second set and maybe get home walking rather than crawling.

People, running stairs is the real deal. Don't try it unless you want to feel the pain. I did end up completing 4 sets, but the walk home was mortifying. I looked awful and I felt even worse. The stomach flu is the closest comparison. I don't think I'll be running 8 flights in the next year or so. I will maybe stick to 2 per workout (when it's not raining that is, there's not a chance of running stairs in the rain)!

I wish you all had blogs! I'd love to hear your crazy stories about stair running and rain or whatever you have going on.

Please remember, we need updates too! Shoot me an email, or send us some snail mail. We Pettit's miss you :) Oh, and pray for us; because once the rain really does come and if it truly does stick around, Mama Pettit doesn't do so well when it's cloudy out, and I don't much care for tanning beds, so that means I may get a little sad.



No comments: